ABOUT THE BROAD
The Broad is a new contemporary art museum founded by philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles which opened in September of 2015. The museum is designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Gensler and offers free general admission. The museum is home to the 2,000 works of art in the Broad collection, which is among the most prominent holdings of postwar and contemporary art worldwide, and has launched an active program of rotating temporary exhibitions and innovative audience engagement. The 120,000-square-foot, $140-million building features two floors of gallery space and is the headquarters of The Broad Art Foundation’s worldwide lending library, which has actively loaned collection works to museums around the world since 1984. In its inaugural year, The Broad museum far exceeded attendance projections, welcoming over 820,000 visitors.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As an essential member of the executive team, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for the direction, oversight, and management of budgeting, finance, operations, visitor services, information technology, retail, security, HR, parking operations and facilities. The COO provides guidance to the director for all areas of the museum including budgeting, strategy, fundraising, events, neighbor relations, construction, contract administration, emergency preparedness, public safety, frontline coordination, and staff training. In the area of digital access and engagement the COO leads strategy, planning, project management, execution and creation of the museum’s digital footprint. The COO plays a significant strategic role, working closely with the director and board in identifying opportunities and challenges in order to optimally fulfill the museum’s mission to bring contemporary art to the widest possible audience.
- Oversee the direction and management of all staff and contractors in the operations, visitor services, information technology, finance, retail, security, HR, parking, operations, rights and reproduction and facilities.
- Work closely with the Director to develop and manage budgets and projections for the museum, exhibits and special projects.
- Ensure that expense and revenue goals are met.
- Provide regular reports on budget and performance to the director and chairman of the board.
- Manage and oversee staffing levels and attrition.
- Lead strategy, planning, project management, execution and creation of the museum’s digital footprint and capital projects.
- Ensure coordination between various teams.
- Authorize purchases and sign contracts as needed.
- Ensure staff training and cross training is consistently accomplished across all staff areas.
- Develop an efficient and streamlined administrative profile for the museum as well excellent technology support systems for both internal and external end users.
- Provide oversight and guidance for contract administration and interface with the Broad accounting, HR, Communications and legal teams.
- Present budget and operations overviews to the Board and internally as needed.
- Represent The Broad at conferences, to public agencies, local government, peer organization groups, citizen groups, neighbors and private organizations as well as to the press as needed.
- Act in the Director’s place when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The COO directly supervises the associate director of museum operations; the director of information technology; the director of security; the director of retail operations; the director of facilities; and outside contractors. The COO works closely with Broad Foundation and Family Office Financial Services staff who handle or support accounting, HR, and legal aspects of The Broad’s operation.
- 15+ years in a senior management positions in for profit or non-profit organization with art museum or arts organization experience.
- Advanced/MBA degree from a leading university preferred.
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and balancing a bottom-line orientation with the needs of a successful high profile visitor-facing organization; evidence of the ability to innovate and consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, judgment and a high level of business acumen.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan with agility.
- Exceptional communications, interpersonal skills, with a capacity for managing and leading people with diverse backgrounds, views and work styles.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior staff from partners, neighboring organizations and all levels of government.
- Thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, customer service, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, facilities, security and marketing.
The work schedule for this position regularly requires evening and weekend hours.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision and a comprehensive 401k retirement savings plan.
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check, which will include criminal reports as well as verifications of employment and educational records. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Please submit your resume and letter of interest via this link.
We will only contact candidates selected for further consideration. No phone inquiries please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and visitors. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Broad believes that by actively building a workforce of the brightest people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, we can innovate and inspire and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.