Reports to: Director of Communications and Marketing
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Date Available: Immediately
Date Posted: 05/02/2017
ABOUT THE BROAD
The Broad is a new contemporary art museum founded by philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles which opened in September of 2015. The museum is designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Gensler and offers free general admission. The museum is home to the 2,000 works of art in the Broad collection, which is among the most prominent holdings of postwar and contemporary art worldwide, and has launched an active program of rotating temporary exhibitions and innovative audience engagement. The 120,000-square-foot, $140-million building features two floors of gallery space and is the headquarters of The Broad Art Foundation’s worldwide lending library, which has actively loaned collection works to museums around the world since 1984. In its inaugural year, The Broad museum far exceeded attendance projections, welcoming over 820,000 visitors.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing (DCM), the Marketing and Social Media Manager (MSMM) develops and implements innovative marketing and communications strategies that effectively attract and retain a diverse and large audience for The Broad museum, its exhibitions, and its public programming. The MSMM professionally and efficiently supports The Broad’s onsite, online, and off-site marketing and communications projects, including digital marketing, social media, email marketing, outreach and community relations, copywriting, and execution of other marketing initiatives. In addition, the MSMM provides administrative support for Communications and Marketing. The MSMM will include approaches outside of the box of conventional cultural marketing, reaching across digital and traditional platforms, and ultimately continue to establish an exciting and enduring local, national, and international identity for the museum as a welcoming, inclusive, and premier cultural destination.
Advertising + Design
- With the DCM, develop and implement a strategic marketing plan to refine and strengthen the museum’s brand and maximize awareness of and audience for the museum, its exhibitions, and its programs
- With the DCM, develop and manage the communications and marketing budget, including processing all invoices, tracking departmental payments, and providing budget tracking reports.
- Set project management schedules, including media planning and placement, design and production of materials, and ensure that campaigns remain on track to meet deadlines and strategic objectives
- Interface with agency and media partners regarding files, specs, production issues, and scheduling
- Work with DCM and external agency to integrate targeted online, search, social advertising, email marketing, social media, video, and other digital initiatives into marketing plans
- Supervise print collateral and external signage and help ensure design continuity for advertising and marketing campaigns
- Create and share regular reports on all advertising initiatives
- Manage all aspects of social media content strategy and communications for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Snapchat
- Analyze and recommend new digital platforms and oversee related launch and success
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to develop content and ensure timely posting
- Continue to grow the museum’s relationships with social media influencers
- Design and produce engaging multi-media content from idea to implementation
- Keep up-to-date with social media trends, best practices, and news to ensure relevancy
- Maintain internal social media content calendar to ensure a consistent and diverse mix of content
- Monitor social media mentions and respond to visitor questions in a timely manner
Email Marketing + CRM Management
- Strategize and execute all aspects of email marketing
- Develop and maintain internal expertise in marketing automation software
- Copy write, design, HTML code, test, and schedule emails
- Strategize and implement plans to increase email list signup
- Work with relevant teams to incorporate essential information and messaging in Program and Shop related-emails
- Produce analytics reports based on email marketing campaign performance
Website + Ticketing
- Work with Director of IT and DMC on maintaining, updating, and redesigning the website
- Manage all content for programs and exhibitions on website and on ticketing website
- Set-up, release, and monitor ticketing for all onsite programs
- Work with Director of IT, external ticketing vendors, and digital advertising agency to implement and troubleshoot pixel tracking, revenue, and conversion reporting for offsite programs
Photography + Videography
- Oversee all photography and videography for the museum
- Hire and supervise photographers and videographers for marketing and communications initiatives
- Work with Associate Director of Operations on artwork and image copyright
- Create and share online image and video folders for press, advertising, and design needs, etc.
- Share photo albums and videos to relevant social media channels in a timely manner
- Maintain image and video archive, monitor internal access, and tag images via DAM
- Plan and execute outreach initiatives including communication with schools, cultural institutions, community organizations, online communities, influencers, retail businesses, local and national audiences
- Post all exhibitions and programs to various online calendars
- Create and maintain community outreach lists
- Assist in market research as needed (implementation of surveys, data collection, analytics, etc.)
- Manage and update all onsite marketing and signage
- Keep up-to-date and complete archives of all marketing and communications initiatives
- Provide administrative support as needed to Communications and Marketing
- Other duties as assigned
This position may recruit and supervise temporary contract staff, consultants, and interns.
- 2 to 5 years of progressively responsible marketing, advertising, and social media experience in a world-class, high-visibility setting
- Proven ability to develop integrated marketing strategies and social media campaigns to communicate with audiences and increase reach and engagement
- Demonstrated creative, strategic, and innovative approach to producing social media content
- Aptitude with technology platforms, digital content delivery channels, and social media monitoring tools
- Proven organizational, project management, and multi-tasking skills
- Interest in and knowledge of modern and contemporary art strongly preferred
- High level of creativity and an entrepreneurial approach to problem solving
- Sophisticated visual aesthetic appropriate to an art museum setting
- Excellent judgment in representing the institution externally
- Capable of handling a complex portfolio of responsibilities and able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities
- Proven capacity for developing effective internal and external working relationships
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and listening skills, and the ability to communicate persuasively and dynamically about The Broad and its programs
- Consistent drive and proven ability to take ideas from vision to implementation
- Technologically proficient and forward-thinking
- Demonstrated commitment to a collaborative, team-based working environment
- Knowledge of Drupal, Salesforce, and ExactTarget preferred
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, or other design programs and video editing software preferred
- Basic HTML coding required
The work schedule for this position regularly requires evening and weekend hours.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision and a comprehensive 401k retirement savings plan.
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check, which will include criminal reports as well as verifications of employment and educational records. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Please submit your resume and letter of interest via the link below. We will only contact candidates selected for further consideration. No phone inquiries please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and visitors. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Broad believes that by actively building a workforce of the brightest people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, we can innovate and inspire and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.