JOB TITLE: Preparator
REPORTS TO: Head Preparator, Director of Collections Management
CLASSIFICATION: Variable, hourly
DATE AVAILABLE: Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis
The Broad is a new contemporary art museum founded by philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles which opened in September of 2015. The museum is designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Gensler and offers free general admission. The museum is home to the 2,000 works of art in the Broad collection, which is among the most prominent holdings of postwar and contemporary art worldwide, and has launched an active program of rotating temporary exhibitions and innovative audience engagement. The 120,000-square-foot, $140-million building features two floors of gallery space and is the headquarters of The Broad Art Foundation’s worldwide lending library, which has actively loaned collection works to museums around the world since 1984. In its inaugural year, The Broad museum far exceeded attendance projections, welcoming over 820,000 visitors.
Prepares galleries and casework for exhibitions. Handles and installs artwork for exhibitions, travel, and storage.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Read and understand technical drawings and installation instructions
- Prepare exhibition spaces and furniture for artwork, including patching, painting, running cables, cleaning
- Safely handle and install artwork for exhibitions, travel, and storage
- Adhere to the Broad safety procedures
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least two years experience handling art or artifacts in a museum environment
- Knowledge of best practices and materials for packing and installing artwork
- Ability to clearly communicate with supervisors and fellow preparators is required
- Must be self motivated, reliable and detail oriented
- Ability to comfortably lift 60 pounds
- Ability to use tools and equipment for art installation safely and skillfully
- Ability to work at heights over 8 feet
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
This position will have a variable schedule. Selected candidates may have periods during which they are not scheduled to work at all, interspersed with periods of heavy workloads and overtime.
The appointee’s compensation package will be based on his or her experience and salary history.
For consideration, please upload a letter of interest and resume at https://thebroad.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0kl5. We will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and visitors. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Broad believes that by actively building a workforce of the brightest people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, we can innovate and inspire and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.